Return to Home

The Indiana Library School was founded in 1905 as Indiana's first library school. It was founded by Merica Hoagland (1858-1933) in Indianapolis. It was the first privately supported library school in the United States. It began as a department of the Winona Technical Institute. This institute was a manual training school sponsored by the Presbyterians through their Winona Assembly and Summer Schools.
The Winona Technical Institute had financial problems in 1908. When this happened Merica Hoagland took the step of incorporating the Indiana Library School and it became a private entity. Hoagland was not able to get state funding for the school and she had to close it by 1913. Some sources say that because the school did not get the support of the librarians of the day and that they found Merica and the school an irritant, that is the reason she found funding hard to come by. She believed till her death that the school would come back.
The Indiana Library School offered a one year program. The school's main goal was to train librarians to work in public libraries. There was a great need in Indiana at that time for trained public librarians. This is because Indiana received more grants for public library buildings than any other state from Andrew Carnegie. The state received Carnegie grants for 155 of its communities.
The Indiana Library School from 1905 to 1912 had a total of 77 graduates. All of these graduates were women who received a certificate.
Indiana Library School Graduate (N=77)
Previous Education
(26 known)
No.
Percentage
High School
10
38
Academy
1
4
Partial College
8
31
College degree
7
27
Type of Library Work After Graduation
(61 known)
No.
Percentage
Public
36
59
Academic
7
11
Special
7
11
State
7
11
School
3
5
Library Education
1
2
More About the Indiana Library School